Next time you are angry at someone, pause and reflect.
- Who is this person you are angry at?
- What are all the good qualities in that person?
- What are all the good things this person has done for you?
- Is it worth getting angry and ruining a perfectly good relationship, even for a minute?
Most of the time, there really is no need to continue the quarrel; it is just the nafs of a person that wants some self satisfaction. So sacrifice that and deprive the nafs. What is a moment's triumph is not worth giving up the peace from simply letting another person's mistake go.
Of course, if it is something contradicting shari'ah, then it is a Muslim's duty to correct the mistake. However even that can be done in a polite manner.
A few tips when angry
- Read Ta'aawuz (A'oozu Billahi Minash Shaytaanir Rajeem)
- Drink cold water
- If you are standing, sit
- If you are sitting, lie down
- If you are really that riled up, go into another room until you calm down.
May Allah Ta'aala allow us all to observe patience and keep our anger under control. Ameen.