Monday, June 20, 2011

About Shukr Again... and Sabr, Of Course

It is interesting how we... or rather... I am not satisfied. 

In summer it was hot, way too hot! Throw away the blanket, turn on the fan full blast, take two showers a day. In winter it is cold, way too cold! Extra blankets please, turn on the heater, cringe as the water takes its sweet time to get hot.

Yet during these same times, while complaining, do I remember those who are shivering outside without any blanket in both the summer and the winter? Those who do not have shoes while I complain for socks? Those who do not have clean water whilst I let the water flow?

Not that I am saying I am going to throw everything away and live outside. No, that would be foolish and misuse of Allah Ta'aala's bounties. Rather, I should make shukr, use the bounties He given with care, and share that which I can with others. And when the times are not too pleasing, make sabr (patience).

I remember one of my teacher explained that although Sulayman 'Alayhis Salaam and Ayyoob 'Alayhis Salaam were in completely different situations, Allah Ta'aala named them both 'Ni'mal 'Abd' ie 'the best of slaves'*. Why? 

Sulayman 'Alayhis Salaam was the king of the world, with everything to his command. However he realized this was all from Allah Ta'aala, so he made shukr.

Ayyoob 'Alayhis Salaam was very sick, and all his children died, he was even thrown into the most vile place in his city, and yet he was patient, only complaining to Allah Ta'aala. (Note: Complaining TO Allah, not OF Allah, as my Shaykh Moulana Yunus Patel saheb always says).

So the key here is to have both shukr and sabr. 

May Allah Ta'aala allow me as well as everyone else to be from the Shaakireen and Saabireen. Ameen.

*I am not completely sure if I translated 'Ni'mal 'Abd' correctly. Will find out and correct or remove asterisk, Insha Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment