Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dangers of the Rose Garden

Funnily enough, I did not actually like roses much when I was growing up, although that definitely changed. Then there was the time in 2000 when my father went for Hajj and bought me a bottle of rose oil. Masha Allah what beautiful scent. I still have some left. The first (so called) meaningful poem I wrote was a metaphor of a rose...

...Moving along...

Here's a beautiful poem I heard in one of Moulana Yunus Patel saheb talk named Sukun-e-Dil (Tranquility of the Heart). He mentioned that when he returned from India, he went to his uncle's house, who was an artist. He looked at the paintings and saw one with a hand holding a rose. The rose's thorns had injured the hand so it was bleeding. Moulana saheb told his uncle he wanted that painting. His uncle asked why, and Moulana saheb replied that it had great lesson in it.

I thought it was really nice so want to share the poem. It is in Urdu. I will attempt to translate it Insha Allah. (The explanation is basically what Moulana saheb said, in my own words.)



Think not the rose garden possesses no danger
Behind the veil of roses are thorns, hidden
Keep safe your clothes as you pass through
As there is no trusting of the thorns


This life is like a rose garden. There are many beautiful sights, many beautiful places to go and people to meet. However if this life is like a rose garden, then thorns will naturally be there as well. What are the thorns? They are the non mahram faces, the alcohol, the singing, the dancing... all that is haraam.

So while there are many wonderful things in this world, we must take care that no sin comes and taints us, in the same way we will protect our clothes to make sure they do not get snagged on a thorn. Enjoy the halaal, but always be cautious, because Shaytaan is there at every step, waiting for you to make a mistake and injure yourself on a thorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment