A few points of today's tafseer by Mufti Ebrahim Salejee saheb
1. What is jealousy? Jealousy is when you hope and long that a favour another has been blessed with be removed from them and granted to you.
2. Jealousy was the first crime which caused the downfall of Shaytaan. Due to jealousy he disobeyed Allah Ta'aala, and hence became accursed.
3. The Jews were jealous that the last Prophet did not come from Bani Israil, rather Rasulullah Salla Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam came from Bani Ismail. This jealousy was what stopped them from following the truth even though they knew it to be the truth. What made this jealousy of the Jews even more foolish was that both Bani Israil and Bani Ismail came from Ebrahim Alayhis Salaam.
4. There is a hadeeth something to the effect that jealousy eats away our good deeds like fire eats away at wood. There is another hadeeth something to effect that jealousy and malice are deeds that shave away ones good deeds.
5. Jealousy, in effect, is stupidity; this can be well understood by reading the above point. However another point to consider is that we are all brothers and sisters in Islam. Allah Ta'aala is the one who grants favours upon us. One should not become jealous and turn away from another person upon whom Allah Ta'aala has favoured. That person is your brother/sister in Islam, and hence a favour upon him is like a favour upon you. We should be happy when another is favoured by Allah Ta'aala. We must also realize that Allah Ta'aala has favoured us in countless ways as well. So, rather than always looking at what others have, we should look at how blessed we are.
May Allah Ta'aala grant us tawfeeq to keep away from jealousy. Ameen
Adapted from today's after Fajr Tafseer of Mufti Ebrahim Salejee saheb (5/3/2012)
For Live Streaming, click HERE