Saturday, May 28, 2011

Qasidah Burdah Shareef

I absolutely love the Qasidah by Imam Busayri Rahmatullahi 'Alayh. Just the sound of it is beautiful enough, but when you actually read the words, how they are put together, the weight of each verse, the huge meanings in a single word... it's just mind blowing.

Just reading the translation is enough to make tears well up and flow from the eyes. The love for Rasulullah Salla Allahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam that is overflowing from Imam Busayri's words is apparent to anyone. I really love the following beautiful verses:

فما لعينيك ان قلت اكففا همتا
و ما لقلبك ان قلت استفق يهم

The translation taken from sufizikr.org

What has happened to your eyes, (the more) you tell them to stop, the more they continue flowing.
What is the matter with your heart, (the more) you tell it to come to its senses, (the more it is distracted).

But my favourite verse is this one:

يا لائمي فى الهوى العذرى معذرة
مني اليك و لو انصفت لا تلم

The translation for this one was not really clear in sufizikr.org. I tried to translate it myself with the help of my husband, and once again realized how things are 1000 times more beautiful when understood in its own language. I am making du'aa Insha Allah I am able to translate it in better words someday.

Oh you who malign me in my desirous excuse (basically his Love), excuse me for that, and if you were just (in understanding the issue) you would not malign 

I saved the translation from sufizikr.org in MS Word, and it was fourteen pages. When I finished reading the whole Qasidah, I found it both hilarious and sad that some people would like the malign Imam Busayri and question his aqeedah due to ONE verse!!! Amazing. ONE verse in FOURTEEN pages!

May Allah Ta'aala allow us to appreciate the love others have for His beloved Salla Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam, and allow His love and His beloved's love permeate our hearts. Ameen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment